Google launched a new way to search the web using text and images at the same time. The new, AI-driven capability, called Multisearch, is available in Google Lens. It is designed for searches where a single image or text phrase are insufficient.
You can ask Google a question about an object in front of you, and use text to refine your search by color, brand, or a visual attribute. Here instances when you can use Multisearch:
- Screenshot a stylish orange dress and add the query “green” to find it in another color
- Take a photo of your dining set and add the query “coffee table” to find a matching table
- Take a picture of your rosemary plant and add the query “care instructions”
To use Google Multisearch, first download the latest version of your Google app, then follow these steps:
- Open the Google app on Android or iOS
- Tap the Lens camera icon
- Upload an image or take a photo of the world around you
- Swipe up and tap the “+ Add to your search” button to add text
Google is currently exploring ways to use the multitask unified model to further improve search results.