Twitter began testing its Professional Profiles in April last year, with selected brands taking part in the beta program. The company started inviting more businesses to sign-up, before opening it to all applicants in September.
All Twitter users can now convert their account to a Professional Profile within their settings, for free. Today, you no longer need approval to convert their profile. You can simply choose to have a Professional Profile or not within your profile options.
To qualify for a Professional Account, you must have:
- No a history of repeatedly violating the Twitter User Agreement
- A complete profile with an account name, a bio, and a profile picture
- A clear, authentic identity on your profile. Your profile must not feature another person’s identity, brand, or organization, a fake identity, as well as images of animals or fictional characters unless directly affiliated with your brand or organization. Parody and fan accounts also are not eligible.
A Professional Account could help maximize engagement with your business, as well as extend reach and brand awareness from your in-app listing. Professional Accounts allow businesses, brands, creators, and publishers to grow and strengthen their presence on Twitter. Professional Accounts may also serve to access more professional tools not available to the average Twitter user such as:
- Ads Ecosystem, including Quick Promote
- Future products such as Professional Profiles and Twitter Shopping
At the moment, however, Professional Accounts cannot target other similar accounts for ad campaigns, as Twitter has no immediate plans to build Professional Account targeting.